CALL FOR PAPERS - PAIS-23
The 12th International Conference on Prestigious Applications of Intelligent Systems, PAIS 2023, will take place on October 3rd in Krakow, Poland, as a sister conference to ECAI 2023, the 26th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence.
PAIS is the largest showcase of real applications using AI technology worldwide and is the ideal place to meet developers of successful applications, discuss limitations of current algorithms, needs for future applications and algorithms, as well as novel methods in data collection and machine learning.
This year’s conference will focus on the impact of current AI based solutions to critical topics related to our wellbeing and our world sustainability. We welcome submissions of papers that evaluate values and costs of current AI solutions and shed light on where we need to be investing our efforts on practical solutions for the benefit of all. Our aim is to provide a forum for academic and industrial researchers and practitioners to share experiences and insights on the applicability, development and deployment of intelligent systems. Papers highlighting AI aspects of the application of intelligent systems technology in the areas outlined above are most welcome.
We welcome papers, demonstrating novel and significant applications. We encourage submissions on deployed (i.e., in production use for some time) and emerging applications (e.g., in field, lab testing or simulations, such as prototypes). Papers considering deployed applications should clearly highlight the benefits of the application, describe how AI methods are applied or enhanced, and finally present the contribution of AI methods to the overall success. Authors should also make an attempt to distil lessons learned that can be useful to apply the AI methods to other applications. For emerging applications authors must convincingly argue that the use of AI is beneficial, not to say essential, for the success of the application.
Authors should include a list of keywords in their submission, comprising at least 2 keywords: one regarding the domain of the application (e.g., energy, human-machine interaction, manufacturing, education, agriculture, ecology), and secondly expressing the focus of the paper, from the following list of categories:
- Evaluation: Responsible AI, impact on humans (AI and HMI, AI and UX),
- Technology: Computational and Energy costs and complexity, AI and ML algorithms, search, scheduling, planning, constraints and satisfiability
- Methodology: Data collection, storage, and management, Method to acquire information (vision, sensing, AI-human interaction), distributed intelligence, information theory and uncertainty in AI
- Application: Data analysis and insights, knowledge representation and reasoning, natural language and semantics processing, autonomous agents’ systems
Novelties for PAIS-23 (as part of novelties of ECAI 2023):
- Double Blind Submission. Submissions are anonymous, and must conform to the instructions for double-blind review
- Authors will be required to adhere to ethical research policies on AI and may include an ethics statement in their papers.
- Each individual author is limited to no more than a combined limit of 2 submissions to PAIS-23 and authors may not be added or deleted from papers following submission.
(All times Anywhere on Earth (AoE), UTC-12),
- Abstract submission: 2 May 2023
- Paper submission (extended): 14 May 2023
- Author notification: 15 July 2023
- Camera Ready: 1 August 2023
- PAIS Conference: 3 October 2023
- ECAI Conference: 30 September - 5 October 2023
All submissions will be subject to peer review by the PAIS-23 Programme Committee. Papers are expected to report on applied research or applications relevant to the topics of this conference. Papers will be evaluated based on relevance, significance of contribution, impact, technical quality, quality of presentation and maturity of the application.
Attendance: At least one author of each accepted paper is required to participate in the conference and present the work. Based on the recommendations made by the reviewers and a separate award committee one of the accepted scientific papers will receive the “Best AI Application Award”.
When relevant, authors can include in the main body of their paper, or on the reference page, an ethics statement that addresses both ethical issues regarding the research being reported, and the broader ethical impact of the work.
Reviewers will be asked to flag violations of ethical and/or fairness considerations. Such flagged submissions will be reviewed by the Ethics Chair. Authors may be required to revise their submission to include discussion of possible ethical concerns and their mitigation.
Conflict of interest policy:
PAIS-23 is a sister conference of ECAI 2023. Therefore, all individuals involved in the review process must adhere to the ECAI conflict of interest policy. Details can be found at https://www.ijcai.org/IJCAI_Conflict_of_Interest_Policy.pdf
. Authors and reviewers acknowledge that we may take action upon individuals in breach with the conflict of interest policy.
All submissions will be treated in strict confidence until the publication date.
Formatting and submission:
Submission and review of papers for PAIS 2023 will be managed via CMT
Papers cannot exceed (7+1) pages. Overlength submissions will be rejected without review.
PAIS 2023 submissions should be submitted as a PDF document, conforming to the formatting guidelines:
The proceedings of the conference will be published by IOS Press and made freely available at the IOS website.
Accepted papers will be included in the PAIS 2023 proceedings, which will be published and distributed by IOS press. The proceedings of recent PAIS conferences are freely available at the IOS website.
Authors of accepted papers must provide the camera-ready version in PDF format, conforming to the IOS Press format. Furthermore, at least one author of each accepted paper must register for the conference and present the contribution. Accepted papers will be presented as talks.
- Martin Atzmueller (Osnabrück University & German Research Center for AI (DFKI))
- Claudia V. Goldman (General Motors)